Friday 19 February 2010

A fight in vain – Dedicated to my angel sister.

It probably wasn't until my 7th grade that I realised my dear sister was totally blind. I always assumed she was normal and had difficulty reading, writing and seeing distant objects, even when I had skipped one of my 4th grade classes to check on her whilst she was trying to find her way to the school’s common lavatory. I wasn’t surprised to hear my dad cursing the chairman of my school who had asked him to “put her in the right place meant for her and not at Aurobindo!” in the following academic year! With not many options left, Dad made a hefty donation to a school that could even be called as one and got her admitted there for her education. Her fight had started then.

The little blind 1st grader had to tackle the challenges of an unseen world only to prove that she could. She continued her fight with the visually gifted and with time she only grew stronger...  stronger than I could ever imagine.
She had graduated 12th scoring better than many of her visually gifted peers. With this tinge of success, her endeavour to take over this world strengthened. Sooner than anyone around could even notice, she was studying for her bachelor’s degree and had found her route map to success.  A computer course for the visually challenged, landing her a job at one of the Blue chip companies in India’s IT capital.

But, this route came to her at a cost she could never have imagined nor her loved ones who were all too busy in their own bloody world.

She had decided to leave the family for more than one reason and take up the course living in an all girl charitable hostel for blind women named, Mithrajyothi. I had the luxury of meeting and seeing her only in the weekends as she would always be busy with the course and visits to various organisations. I was proud of her as I believed she had proven her point, she had won; guess god almighty was as well!

I never saw her the same way after 20th Dec ’09. She was gone at 1.03 am, 29th Dec ’09.

Following morning, as I continued watching her lay cold and blue, her mobile phone rang and the caller needed to confirm her availability for an interview!

I pray for her and believe she lives eternally surrounded with radiance all around.

R.I.P Guddu. Will miss you forever.

9 comments:

  1. No, Harsha, it wasn't a fight in vain. Please don't call it that. She fought and lived the way she wanted to. She made her own world. Nothing ever goes in vain. Nothing!
    She would be glad tht she inspired you to initiate a journey to help the blind. InshAllah, Allah will bring to you, her part of success, in this endeavor. And yes, we are all proud of her, very proud!
    RIP guddu :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fight she went thru wil always be an inspiration to many of them. I may be clinical about this but she found her success for which we all shud be proud.

    RIP guddu:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Harsha,

    For her this was not a journey of grief, but a journey of success. She is definitely a motivation for a lot people. She shined brighter than most of us! We are all glad to have known her.

    You are lucky to have a sister who saw beauty in the world, life and people, and fought till the then!

    Love
    Shalini

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like I said, I'm proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Harsha,

    It is always true that the essence of the person is always realized after the person rests in peace.

    She is remembered as a person of success and she did enjoy what she wanted even before she started the struggle.

    We must be proud of people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harsha(I'm never used to calling u like this!),your sister was one of the bravest persons i've ever met in my life.Let her soul rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Harsha ,

    This blog reflects the depth of your emotions , the love and affection , that still keep your angel sister cosily wrapped up , at her heavenly abode. She was the epitome of strength , courage and determination and God couldn't stay away from His loving child any more.

    I never knew your sister and unfortunately will not be able to do so ever. But I pray from the bottom of my heart that her brave and loving soul rests in peace.

    Harsha,just be the special way you are and I am sure your sister will be proud of you from where she is .

    Cheers

    Saurav

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey Harsha..
    Your sister was truly an angel... hope her soul rests in peace...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karthik Vijayan20 March 2010 at 07:38

    sorry to hear harsha... though i don know u guys wel.. i can see, she through her journey she has inspired a lot of people... a true angel...

    ReplyDelete